Aromatic spices flavor this wine-based Scandinavian holiday beverage, served warm. The sweet, fruity taste will warm you to your toes!
Sue Brown- West Bend WI
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 20 min.
MAKES: 8 servings
- 4 cups port wine or apple cider, divided
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 orange peel strips (3 inches)
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 5 slices fresh peeled gingerroot
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a large saucepan, combine 3 cups wine, cranberries, brown sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Mash slightly and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Strain and discard pulp, orange peel and spices. Return mixture to pan; stir in the cider, almonds, raisins and remaining wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 229 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.